A new year. A new season. Mark Nish kicks off 2023 looking at what the bible says about giving and generosity. He sets out a challenge to ourselves for this new year..
1. Am I giving myself first to the Lord? (Does Jesus have all of me?)
2. Am I giving in response to God’s Grace? (Is that why I give?)
3. Am I giving beyond my ability? (Am I giving beyond my comfort zone?)
4. Am I giving without external compulsion? (Am I giving without being prompted?)
5. Am I clamouring for the privilege of serving the saints? (Am I clamouring for opportunities to give to the saints?)
2 Corinthians 8:1-9
“And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us. So we urged Titus, just as he had earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion this act of grace on your part. But since you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.
I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.”